Thursday 30 October 2014

cotton top (sewn)

pattern: New Look 6483 

A couple of weeks ago, I took another scrap of old sheet, a pattern borrowed from my Ma and started sewing a simple cotton top. 

It was my first time "going solo" on a dressmaking project, as neither of my two regular sewing gurus were on hand to help me when I got stuck. Which did happen rather a lot. 

There were lots of new processes to discover (stay-stitching, interfacing, layering seams...) as well as exciting new elements in the construction of the garment itself (shoulder seams, side slits, bust darts). Even a little hand sewing (sewing a button loop). All in all, I think things turned out rather well, even if I didn't fully understand how to tackle the shoulder seam until after. At least I'll know for the next one, and I'm sure there will be one very soon! 

Perhaps the trickiest part to deal with on my own was the little matter of fitting the garment, a fundamental element which I hadn't really dealt with before. Thankfully by the time I was ready to sew the side seams, we had arrived up here in Brittany and my mother in law was on hand to give me a little master-class to ensure that it didn't gape around the arm-pits.

Location: Port Bara beach, Quibéron (Morbihan)

ps: Ma, if you're reading this (which I'm sure you are!) rest assured, I did press the top properly before I put it on...it just got a little crinkled in the car on the way to the beach...

No comments:

Post a Comment