Saturday 14 June 2014

proper knitting yarn (hand-spun)


Like proper knitting yarn. 

That was my first thought when I wound off this yarn into a skein. So white, so soft, so uniform and neat.

It was worth taking a break from the wheel, worth taking my time at every stage, if this is what I ended up with. I loved those first nobbly attempts at yarn making. But I love this even more...


※※※
"Proper knitting yarn"
Ingredients: around 70g of washed and carded wool. The fibre used was white Barégeoise from Gèdre. 
Spinning: Two singles spun from all rolags in the 7 direction, using the woollen technique.  

Plying: two singles plied in the S direction until balanced. 

Finishing: Wound off into a skein, washed and dried weighted to set the ply.

Quantity: 68g giving around 220m of finished yarn

No comments:

Post a Comment